Online General Biology I & II
Do you need General Biology? Do you need a year of General Biology so that you can enter into a biology program or use the course as a pre-req for higher level biology courses, but can’t fit it into your schedule or need to do it online? Mayville State University offers General Biology I and General Biology II online and meets the requirements of many biology/essential studies/nursing/health programs!
We are pleased to offer ONLINE labs that are full-contact, non-virtual labs to give you the hands-on experience required by most of these programs. Is your program worried about you taking an online course and not having skills like microscopy? Not an issue here! Our lab kits include a microscope and gain hands-on experience utilizing microscopes. These microscopes (Windows software only) allow students to visualize as well as capture images that are incorporated into the lab reports.
Maybe you only need the lecture or only the lab? Not a problem, you can enroll in either or both! Of course, it is beneficial to take both simultaneously because they are coordinated to work together.
While these courses are “asynchronous” they do still have deadlines that students will need to meet. You must enroll for a semester term and complete assignments over the duration of the semester. So, the courses provide structure to help guide the students through the entirety of the course. You need to meet the deadlines as missed assignments are missed points.
GENERAL BIOLOGY I ONLINE COURSE INFORMATION
General Biology I is offered during the Fall term. General Biology I is intended to fulfill needs of students from NUMEROUS backgrounds or even essential studies/pre-req courses. Topics for General Biology I include everything from the Scientific Method, to Cell Structures and Membranes, through macromolecules, Cell Respiration, Photosynthesis, Mitosis and Meiosis, Protein Synthesis, and Genetic Hereditability. These are also incorporated into the at-home labs so you cover the material numerous times and gain added, important exposure.
Mayville State University offers General Biology I online during the fall semester. You must register and complete the courses within the semester timeframe. General Biology I is a fully transferable course. While Mayville State University is a fully accredited university and a member of the North Dakota University System, we recommend you submit the course syllabus to your institution to insure the course will be transferred to the specific university and program you are applying. Computers/Laptops with internal or external webcams/microphones are required for this course.
How to Apply for online General Biology courses
Application for our Fall 2021 term is open now, and class registration will begin on April 6.
1. Any student intending to take online General Biology courses must first apply to Mayville State University. You will need to complete an application to Mayville State and pay the $35 application fee (whether you are applying as a non-degree student or a student seeking a degree with us, please use these detailed application instructions).
2. Once you've applied, your admission request will be processed. Please watch your email for communications from Kati Nelson with the Office of Admissions. If there are any questions we have regarding your application, we will need you to respond as soon as possible. Once we are able to fully process your application, we will send you an admissions notification by email. This notification will let you know if you are admitted and includes information on the next steps you will need to take to get enrolled in classes.
3. You will receive your student ID number in your notification of admission. The first thing you will need to do after you are admitted is to claim your NDUS student account. To start the process, go to the NDUS Claim Page. Please refer to these Student Account Claim instructions as needed. If you have any problems during this process, contact the NDUS Help Desk by phone at 1.866.457.6387 (toll-free in the US and Canada) or email the NDUS Help Desk.
4. After your account is claimed, you will then be able to log in to Campus Connection to submit the Financial Obligation Agreement electronically.
5. You are ready to register! If you are enrolling in General Biology I courses (BIOL 150/L), you can self-register by following these enrollment instructions after claiming your NDUS account and signing the Financial Obligation Agreement.
6. You should not self-enroll in General Biology II courses (BIOL 151/L) if they are your first courses with Mayville State or if you are only taking lectures (no labs) or only taking labs (no lectures). Please request assistance from the Office of Admissions.
7. Non-degree seeking students are students not completing an entire degree program from Mayville State University. Non-degree seeking students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid from Mayville State University. Students outside of North Dakota interested in online programs from Mayville State University should review the State Authorization webpage to determine programs available in your state.
8. Please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions whenever you need assistance or have questions about anything related to your online learning and success. We are here to help in any way we can!
Tuition and Fees
For the 2021-2022 academic year, tuition and fees for distance and online courses is $325.82/semester hour credit. This tuition and fee rate is the same for in-state and out-of-state students. Books and materials are additional, and information can be found at the MSU Bookstore.
Complete tuition and fee information is available at the MSU Business Office website.