We worked very hard on Fix Your Content Day and submitted a total of 222 fixes! Not bad for a first try. Our rank is 24 out of 116.
Accessibility champions near and far will unite for Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) to shine a light on the importance of digital access and inclusion for all. Mayville State faculty and staff are encouraged to contribute to the spirit and mission of the day by fixing Comet course content.
The event runs for 24 hours starting from midnight to 11:59 pm on May 20th to fix as many accessibility issues with course files as we can. Anything improved through Bb Ally in our courses counts for our score.
At the end of the event, the campus with the most files per student fixed is recognized and awarded a prize! Check out last year's winners.
How can you help?
Check out our help article on How to use Ally Accessibility Reports to track progress. This will link to other help files as well.
When fixing, aim for 100% but improvement is what counts!
Fixes will be tracked and posted on this page as often as possible. You can also check your fixes through the Accessibility Report in each course. Remember, fixes can only be tracked on May 20th and only if they happen through Ally directly. Replacing a file through the LMS cannot be reliably tracked and therefore won't count in your total fixes.
Focus on low-hanging fruit:
1. First, fix images that need descriptions (also known as alt text). They will be in documents and in Bb content areas (for example, the images of themselves people often post on their course home pages.) Image descriptions are easy to fix and can have a dramatic impact on your score. Also, they can be fixed directly in Ally.
2. Next, fix the contrast issues Ally identifies.
For Spring 2021, we have over 6,000 files with image description issues.
A few helpful links:
- Introduction to Bb Ally
- How to run an Accessibility Report for your course (PDF)
- Bb Ally’s Accessibility Checklist
- Blackboard Ally Help Page: Improve File Accessibility
We can win!
Blackboard Ally has a leaderboard of all participating schools.
Last year, 59 schools participated and Coastal Pines Technical College won with 1.98 fixes per student. They had 1,903 students and 3,762 fixes.
MSU's goal: 2,424 files which is 2 files per student.
We could win this people!