MSU PRESIDENT'S COLUMN FOR TRAILL COUNTY TRIBUNE
November 10, 2018
Statements and plans will lead Mayville State down the path of endless possibilities
Mayville State’s strategic planning committee met recently to review the plan and to assess progress toward achieving goals. The current strategic plan was developed in 2015-16. In doing so, those involved examined literally all of the variables that affect our campus, as well as dreams and resource realities. Other considerations in the process of developing the plan were Mayville State’s alignment to the North Dakota University System plans and the guidelines of Mayville State’s accrediting bodies. The ultimate goal was charting a future for Mayville State University that is challenging, exciting, and beneficial to the campus, community, Traill County, the state, and region.
Mayville State’s strategic plan consists of five themes:
- Supporting the success of MSU’s diverse student body measured by progression toward degree completion, high impact student-centered inclusive support services, and transformative experiences in a global community.
- Creating positive living, learning, and working environments.
- Improving student learning by strengthening academic quality and investing in learning and teaching excellence.
- Inspiring and supporting innovation, creativity, and research.
- Committing to individualized personal service and institutional stewardship.
Led by Allison Johnson, Executive Director of Institutional Effectiveness, the process of developing this document included input from all Mayville State constituent groups. Several new concepts and documents emerged from the strategic planning process. They include listings of core values and purposes and a new mission statement which was approved by the State Board of Higher Education in November of 2016. It is as follows:
“Mayville State University is dedicated to excellence in teaching, service, and scholarship in dynamic, inclusive, and supportive learning environments that are individually focused. We offer quality undergraduate and master's programs enriched with practical experiences to prepare all learners for a global economy.”
Mayville State’s purpose statements read as follows:
- To provide academic programs and services that address contemporary career and workforce opportunities.
- To maintain collaborative relationships with schools, employers, and communities which contribute to the economic growth and social vitality of North Dakota.
- To deliver flexible programs, instruction, and student services to meet the needs of the individual.
- To cultivate an environment that supports creativity, intellectual curiosity, lifelong learning, service, and an appreciation of diversity.
Core values are the basis upon which the members of an organization make decisions, plan strategies, and interact with each other and their stakeholders, the people or organizations impacted in some way by the organization. Core values reflect what is important to the organization and its members.
Mayville State University, since its beginning in 1889, has embraced the philosophy of personal service, the foundation of our core values. These values guide how we perform our work and conduct ourselves every day with all of our stakeholders. Mayville State’s core values are as follows:
- We act with integrity in all we do. We demonstrate integrity through honesty and loyalty to our institution, high ethical standards, respect for others, being responsible and accountable for our actions, and having open communication.
- We are student-focused. We provide individualized support that is responsive to the needs of students, and results in their success.
- We are committed to teaching and learning excellence. We engage in transformational experiences, supportive learning environments, scholarly opportunities, and collaborative relations.
- We promote and value an open and diverse community. We foster partnerships across our local, regional, and global communities. We respect all individuals through our small town campus culture that supports a sense of family.
- We integrate leadership in all we do. We encourage individuals to develop and strengthen leadership skills and abilities, while providing opportunities to enhance the common good.
The strategic plan, mission statement, purpose, and core values are invaluable to our success. These documents are our guide as we make our journey down the path of endless possibilities and a robust future. You can see the specific details regarding our mission statement, core values, and purposes on the Mayville State website at www.mayvillestate.edu.