September 5, 2023
Mayville State University Homecoming will meet Farmers Bowl for the first time ever during the weekend of Sept. 15 and 16, 2023. The Mayville State Alumni Association board has a full slate of activities planned. Weekend highlights will include recognizing Distinguished Alumni and Distinguished Service Award recipients and Athletic and Athletic Coaches Hall of Fame inductees. The Alumni Association board invites all alumni, family members, and friends to join in the festivities.
The 2023 Performing Arts Hall of Fame inductees will be recognized at a program planned for Friday, Sept. 15 at 2 p.m. in the Mayville State Classroom Building Auditorium. Inductees for this year are Jeffrey Jacobsen, Houston, Texas; Tim Thueson, Bismarck, N.D.; and Greta (Anderson) Paschke, who will be recognized posthumously. The program will include selections from the Drama Queens, a group that Greta Paschke organized and that frequently appeared in Mayville State music and/or drama productions. The Mayville State band and choir will also provide musical entertainment. There is no admission charge, and all are welcome.
The 1998 softball team; the 2001 baseball team; Dana (Wiseth) Dean; Maple Grove, Minn.; and Rebecca (Hayden) Rue, Delano, Minn.will be inducted into the Mayville State University Athletic Hall of Fame. Jay Frydenlund, East Grand Forks, Minn., and Dave Nelson, Hillsboro, N.D., will be inducted into the Athletic Coaches Hall of Fame. Laurie (Thompson) Robinson Sammons, Daniels, W.V., will receive the Distinguished Alumni Award, and Steven Bensen, Mayville, N.D., will receive the Distinguished Service Award. These folks will be honored during the Homecoming Awards Dinner scheduled for 6 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 15 in the MSU Campus Center Luckasen Room. A pre-dinner social will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the MSU Larson Alumni and Leadership Center.
Tickets for the Sept. 15 Homecoming Awards Dinner are available at the MSU Foundation office, at www.mayvillestate.edu/reunion or by calling 701-788-4864. Seating is limited. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
Additional Mayville State Farmers Bowl/Homecoming activities are as follows:
Friday, Sept. 15
- Mayville State’s beloved Old Main will soon be undergoing a major renovation. The public is invited to take self-guided tours through the building from 1 to 2 p.m.
- The Mayville Golf Club will be the site for a social for all Mayville State alumni and friends from 8:30 to 11 p.m. A special invitation is extended to the members of the Jerome Berg football teams.
Saturday, Sept. 16
- Mayville State’s beautiful Edson and Margaret Larson Alumni and Leadership Center and the gardens on the grounds of the facility will be open for visitors from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. SoHolt Bakery treats, juice, and coffee will be served.
- The traditional Ceremony of Remembrance at the Military Honor Garden will begin at 9:30 a.m. on the south lawn of the MSU Edson and Margaret Larson Alumni and Leadership Center at noon.
- Several Athletic Hall of Fame teams are making anniversaries in five-year increments in 2023. A special invitation is extended to the members of the 1958, 1963, 1988, 1993, and 1998 baseball teams and the 1997-98 men’s basketball team and their friends. Tailgating will take place at “The Grove” northwest of Jerome Berg Field starting at 10 a.m.
- The Farmers Bowl Parade will begin at 11 a.m. near the Goose River Bank in downtown Mayville. It will travel east down Main Street, turn north at Fifth Avenue, and end at Mayville State’s Jerome Berg Field. To register an entry in the parade, contact Stacy at email@example.com.
- The MSU Bookstore will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Mayville State’s famous Farmers Bowl Corn on the Cob & Hot Dog Feed will begin at noon just outside Jerome Berg Field. The accompanying pre-game festival will include inflatable games, face painting, live music by “Kenny & the Classics,” and fun for all. Everyone is welcome. There is no admission charge, but freewill donations will be accepted.
- The Comets will host Waldorf University in the homecoming football game. Kickoff is at 2 p.m. at Jerome Berg Field. All homecoming honorees will be recognized at half time.
- The grand finale for the weekend will be the Farmers Bowl Auction. Socializing and silent auction bidding begin at 5 p.m. in the MSU Campus Center Luckasen Room. The excitement of the live auction begins at 7 p.m. See a preview and preliminary list of items to be auctioned and purchase admission tickets at www.mayvillestate.edu/FBAuction2023. Admission tickets are also available at MayPort Hardware Hank and the MSU Bookstore.
See all the Mayville State University Farmers Bowl/Homecoming 2023 details at www.mayvillestate.edu/reunion. For more information, contact the MSU Office of Alumni Affairs, 701-788-4750 or firstname.lastname@example.org.