"All the World's a stage" – give 'em a show.

video_graphic.jpgMSU Theater Department
The goal of the MSU Theater Department is to fulfill the education, creative and social needs of Mayville State University students. Opportunities are made available to all students, and participation is sought from the wider campus and community as well. There are ample opportunities to participate on stage, work behind the scenes, showcase talents, discover hidden artistic abilities, socialize, meet new people, develop friendships and, of course, have fun!

Scholarships for Theater Participants
An increasing number of scholarships are available for new and current students who show interest and aptitude in any of the dramatic arts.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have theatre experience in order to audition for an MSU production?
No! Everyone who has the time and desire can be a part of the MSU Theatre program. Participation on the stage and behind the scenes doing technical work is encouraged.

How much time do rehearsals take?
Rehearsals are generally around two to four hours per week. The time is dependent on the cast member schedules.

Where do rehearsals take place?
Rehearsals take place in the Historic Old Main Theatre, located on the second floor of Old Main.

Can I get a scholarship for being in a play?
Scholarships are available for those who participate in the MSU Theatre Program in a significant way-  not only those who participate on stage, but also those who work behind the scenes in technical roles. The annual “Nights on Broadway” production and the MSU Foundation support scholarship funds for theater participants.

Who is the audience of MSU productions?
The audience is a mixture of students, faculty, staff, and community members. The Mayville-Portland community members are big supporters of the arts at Mayville State University.

Where can I see a production?
Productions take place in Mayville State’s historic Old Main Theatre, located on the second floor of Old Main, 330 Third Street NE, Mayville, N.D. Enter the building on the south main entrance or by the elevator located on the east side of the building.

Upcoming Productions

• Fall Production: Antigone
    •  Performances are tentatively scheduled for November 17-20th. Thursday through Saturday at 7:30PM and Sunday at 3:00PM.
    • Admission is $10 for the general public, $5 for non-MSU students and MSU Faculty and Staff, and free for all MSU students.

Contact Information

Contact the MSU Theater Department by sending an e-mail to theater@mayvillestate.edu.

Bob Sylskar
Director of Theater
bob.sylskar@mayvillestate.edu
701-788-4725

Past Productions

Musicals

• A, My Name Is Alice
  • Annie
  • Bingo! A Winning Musical
  • Godspell
  • Grease
  • Honk!
  • Into the Woods
  • Joseph and the Amazing Technical Dreamcoat
  • Little Shop of Horrors
  • Music Man
  • Oklahoma!
  • Once Upon a Mattress
  • Schoolhouse Rock
  • Snoopy

Plays

• A Doll's House
  • Escanaba in da Moonlight
  • Fairy Tale Courtroom
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • The Grapes of Wrath
  • The Miracle Worker
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Of Mice and Men

Here's what MSU Theater alumni have to say . . .

Samantha Agnes DeLong ('11)

My favorite thing about theater is all of the friends you make. I have met so many people through the MSU Theater Department. Many of those people have become friends that I will have forever! MSU Theater is a fun way to get involved and make memories to last a lifetime!

Jay Krogstad ('10)

My favorite Mayville State Theater memory is the production of "Oklahoma!" in 2009. Ifeel that the cast of "Oklahoma!" was the closest cast I was ever involved with. It just felt like everyone got along great, even if we didn't know each other before. We all grew to be close friends. "Oklahoma!" brought out the best in everyone. I got to work with people I would never have had a chance to meet had it not been for my involvement in theater while at Mayville State.

Kathy Halley ('86)

MSU Theater was an experience in itself. Meeting and acting with new people, kissing men of the cloth twice your age passionately (during the play "Damn Yankees") and having to change your clothes in front of Dr. Jones while he says, "Honey, you can change your clothes in front of me. You just aren't my type!" These are experiences that will last a lifetime.

Jenessa Grimm Gayheart (ex. '94)

Creating costumes for the drama department around 1994-95 is still among my fondest MSU memories. There were so many possibilities with all of those fabrics and old clothing! I recall that for "Shakespeare's Ladies" I had to make a costume for each of the eight ladies. I didn't read the script, but was familiar with the various characters. It wasn't until after I had made the billowing black and yellow that I found out that due to her sudden and biting verbal attacks, she is actually referred to as a "wasp" in the play! The Old Main attic is also the only place where I have been guilty of vandalism. Without asking any authority, and with the help of a friend, I painted some spontaneous murals along the walls up the stairs, footprints on the stairway. In the attic, I spent many hours sitting on the table with my sewing machine called Francois in the middle of the night while listening to Seal or Alice in Chains via CASSETTE as loudly as possible and sewing for the next performance.