Eligibility/How to Apply
Title IV School Code: 002993
The only way to know to be sure if you're eligible to receive financial aid—and the amount you may receive—is by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Federal Student Aid Estimator - Use this tool to see how much federal student aid you may be eligible for in the 2024-2025 academic year.
HOW TO PREPARE
- Create Your Federal Student Aid user ID & password - Create a FAFSA account. All participants with a Social Security Number (SSN) should create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) login. If you don't have a SSN you will be asked two statements and at least one will need to describe your situation. If one applies to you can check a box to create an account without an SSN.
- Stay Informed - Stay informed of the FAFSA resources through the FSA website.
- The 24-25 FAFSA is Open - The 2024-2025 FAFSA became available in January 2024. All parent and spouse participants, with or without a SSN, can complete the FAFSA.
HAVING FAFSA TROUBLES?
The Mayville State University Financial Aid Office does not administer the FAFSA, so we are unable to help you with technical issues. Federal Student Aid is posting any known issues with the 24-25 FAFSA on their website, and reviewing those may let you know if your problem is a known issue.
- Known 2024-25 FAFSA Issues (FSA)
- Otherwise, you may contact Federal Student Aid directly at: 1.800.433.3243.
In order for students to receive financial aid, they must meet certain eligibility requirements. Students must:
- Be a US citizen or an eligible noncitizen.
- Have a valid Social Security Number.
- Be fully admitted to Mayville State.
- Be accepted into a degree-seeking program.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Not be in default on federal student loan(s).
- Not owe a repayment of any grant funds previously received.
- Students must be enrolled at least half-time in order to be eligible for federal student loans.
- Undergraduate: half-time - 6 credits or more
- Graduate: half-time - 5 credits or more
Helpful Video Shorts:
For more information on Federal Student Aid, our office encourages you to follow Federal Student Aid on whichever platform you're most comfortable with or learn from best (YouTube, Instagram, X, Facebook). Here are some great information videos from YouTube.
Applicants who provide an email address when completing their FAFSA will receive a response email once their FAFSA has been processed. Included in this email is a secure link to their FAFSA Submission Summary (FSS, formerly the Student Aid Report or SAR). Applicants who do not provide an email address will be mailed a paper FSS. Applicants should check their FSS for errors and make corrections. The Financial Aid Office can also assist with corrections.
After you have applied for admission and your financial aid has been completed, you will receive a financial aid offer from Mayville State. Your offer will show your Student Aid Index (SAI, formerly the EFC or Expected Family Contribution). Your financial aid offer also shows the total estimated Cost of Attendance, which is not your direct cost to the school but is the total fall/spring budget used by the Financial Aid Office. Your financial aid offer will also show the types and amounts of aid you qualify for.
Mayville State reserves the right to make adjustments to your offer if additional information becomes available. Revised offers will be emailed to students who have had their financial aid adjusted. Adjustments may be based on, but not limited to, the following:
- Changes resulting from verification
- Changes in enrollment status
- Other scholarships or grants received
- Tuition Assistance
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Other third party payments