International Transfer Students

Priority admissions are given to those applicants who have submitted application materials by April 1 for enrollment in the fall term and by October 1 for enrollment in the spring term. No admission decisions will be made for applicants who do not provide all required documents and information.

To apply to Mayville State University:

1) MSU application for admission

2) Official academic records (referred to as transcripts in the United States) and/or diplomas attesting to the applicant’s secondary and university education must be sent directly to the Office of Admission if they are recorded in English. Academic records in any other language must be sent directly by the institution(s) attended to an evaluation service used by Mayville State University (such as World Education Services.) All documents must bear an official signature in ink of the appropriate official of the institution (such as the registrar or recorder of records) and must bear the institution’s seal. If the college or university will not mail original, official, academic documents to the United States, exact copies that have been certified as such by the appropriate institutional official of each institution attended should be sent.

3) Evidence verifying adequate financial resources to provide for all expenses (tuition, room/board, travel, etc.) while in the United States and during the entire period of time you expect to attend Mayville State, including vacation periods, must be provided before admission is granted. To meet this requirement applicants must complete the International Student Financial Statement and return it to the Admissions Office. If funding is expected from a sponsor who resides in the United States, the affidavit of support (I-134) will be required in addition to the Financial Statement. Financial statements must be current within six months of the first day of the initial semester and show sufficient funds for each academic year.

4) Apply for an International Scholarship.

5) International Students enrolled in an on-campus course are required to provide documentation of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella, tuberculin (TB), and Meningococcal (Meningitis). Documentation of immunity means:

a) Evidence of two doses of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine no less than one month apart from a licensed physician or authorized representative of a state or local health department.

b) Proof of a positive serologic test for measles, mumps and rubella; or proof of a date of birth prior to 1957.

To complete your admission file after you are on the MSU campus:

6) All international students are required to maintain health insurance coverage from an approved carrier while in attendance at any state university in North Dakota. A health insurance policy selected by the State Board of Higher Education or approved by the Chancellor of the university system is required. The premium cost for twelve months for a single student must be pre-paid to the MSU Business Office prior to enrollment i.e. by the first day of classes. Students who fail to pre-pay their health insurance premium will be cancelled from their classes. Refunds of health insurance premiums will be granted only if the international student officially withdraws from the university.

7) A copy of the SEVIS I-1901 processing fee paid to the appropriate government agency

8) A photocopy of the page containing your personal information from your passport.

9) MSU awards credit for Cambridge A-levels, IB diploma, and AP credits. Advanced standing and collegiate-level credits may be awarded based on the student’s performance on these exams and certain other upper-secondary school certificates. Students should send score reports to the Office of Admissions for evaluation. An official evaluation of a student’s secondary record is often helpful in this process and can be provided by organizations such as World Educational Services (WES).

International Transfer Students from an Institution outside the U.S

 An applicant whose native language is not English is required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. Proficiency for admission purposes is demonstrated by any of the following (or a combination of the following):

a. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with a minimum internet-based test (IBT) score of 68 (Or paper-based test score of 523); or

b. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with a minimum score of 6.0; or

c. The Pearson Test of Academic English (PTE-A) with a minimum score of 50; or

d. The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with a minimum score of 55; or

e. Completion of an official ELS course at levels 112 or above

f. At least two years of study, in good standing, at a post-secondary institution with English as the language of instruction; or

g. A degree or diploma from an institution in which English was the language of instruction.

Students transferring from a non-English speaking university outside of the United States must submit an official transcript from the institution reflecting all courses attempted and grades received; along with a professional course-by-course evaluation and English translation completed by World Education Services ( If a student has already completed a course-by-course evaluation from another National Association of Credential Evaluation Services ( member, he or she can have this evaluation sent to the Admissions Office. Students must also provide an English translated copy of the institution’s catalog or course descriptions or course Syllabi to aid in the evaluation of transfer credit.

Students attending an English speaking university outside the United States must also submit an official transcript from the institution reflecting all courses attempted and grades received. The student will be notified if a professional course-by-course evaluation completed by World Education Services is required. Course-by-course evaluations must be sent directly from the professional credential agency to Mayville State University. Student copies will not be accepted. Students are responsible for any costs incurred. The transfer credit evaluation process is lengthy, so the results of the evaluation may not be available prior to a student’s arrival and registration at Mayville State University.

If English is the official language of the applicant’s home country, SAT/ACT scores are required. In the absence of ACT or SAT scores, competency in English for purposes of course placement will be determined by a review of the academic records submitted by the student and completion of Accuplacer Placement Testing or comparable instrument.

International Transfer Students from another U.S Institution:

International students who transfer from another American college are subject to the same admission standards that govern other transfer students. Proof of English proficiency can be demonstrated by:

a) at least two years of study, in good standing, at a U.S. high school or regionally accredited U.S. college/university.

b) A U.S. General Education Diploma (GED) administered in English; or College Composition I and College Composition II, or equivalent courses, with a grade of ‘A’ or ‘B’ from a regionally accredited U.S. postsecondary college and/or university; or

c) Any of the placement scores on the ACT, SAT, PLAN, COMPASS and/or ACCUPLACER for English:

i. ACT English sub test of 18 or higher

ii. PLAN English sub test of 15 or higher

iii. SAT Writing of 430 or higher

iv. COMPASS Writing Skills of 77 or higher

v. ACCUPLACER Write Placer of 5 or higher

 If a transfer applicant has 24 or more credits from another American college, with a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA, they are only required to submit transcripts of those college courses for evaluation and determination of admission status. If they have less than 24 credits, their admission status is that of an entering freshman and is based on their high school record. In those cases, they must submit high school transcripts, TOEFL or IELTS scores (if from a country in which English is not the official language), and ACT/SAT scores if they are from Canada or a country where English is the official language.

Additional Requirements:

- If currently attending a US college or University you will also need to submit the International Transfer Form.

- International students who are graduates of American high schools and who apply for admission will follow normal procedures for high school applicants; i.e. submit evidence of completion of the College Prep courses, ACT/SAT scores and proof of graduation.

- College-level coursework taken at an institution recognized by a specific country’s Minister of Education Or at regionally accredited U.S. institutions is eligible for transfer to Mayville State University. Depending on your chosen major, not all transferred courses are degree applicable. Courses which transfer to the university, but do not apply toward your chosen program, will count toward the required Credit totals to earn a degree. If a professional credential evaluation provides an equivalency of a Bachelor’s or associate’s degree, those degrees will be recognized. Regardless of the number of credits transferred, students must meet all general and specific graduation requirements of the university.